Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Shock and Awe

I enjoy the idea of being able to shock someone. That probably explains my love for movies with a lot of gore, and partly explains my love for movies with a lot of sex. Even in personal life, I normally build up a image of such propriety that when I do end up doing something uncharacteristic people often are not able to believe that it's me doing that.

For a long time I harbored the intention of marrying a Muslim woman simply because it would shock my parents and, even more so, my other relatives. But I realised, and thankfully well in time, that that is not the best reason to marry someone! There have been other things that I have done which my friends, wingmates, cousins didn't expect me too, but I am too bashful to mention all of it here.

One thing that I really want to do is to make a movie like the ones made by Pier Pasolini, but with better production quality. After looking for them for a substantial period I have managed to download two of his controversial movies - Il fiore delle mille e una notte (Arabian Nights), which was a part of his Life Trilogy, and Salò, which was a part of his incomplete Death Trilogy and which also has been voted by Time Out's Film Guide as the Most Controversial Film of all time. The amount of gratuitous nudity, and a lot of it male, is very disconcerting. And of course Salo has the added feature of coprophilia, sadism, torture and a lot else (being based on Marquis de Sade's 120 Days of Sodom). It might not be all that great an idea because Pasolini was murdered brutally because of his beliefs, of course not only related to his movies but also the fact that he was a staunch communist. But it would not be a complete waste dying after having made movies that people still shudder seeing after over 35 years, and even in times when we have gotten desensitized to all types of violence and bloodshed.

1 Comment:

Robert Frust said...

So much of what we do or want to do is driven by what people think of us and how we want to be perceived. But I suppose we'll stop being ambitious if we stopped caring.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro