Wednesday, April 4, 2007

Singapore Diary - Day 2

Well settled now. Some confusion has given us quite a bit of free time before work begins, which is being put to good use exploring the city.

Have been experimenting with the food here. Both the number of options, especially if you are as comprehensively omnivorous as I am, and the number of food outlets are mind-boggling. It's difficult to understand how most food-outlets make money here, as the total number of food-stalls and restaurants is probably more than the number of residents in the city. But I am not complaining. Because of the competition the prices are really low and I am sure I am spending less on food here than I would be at Mumbai or Delhi, because I wouldn't dare to eat at most cheap outlets at most places in India.

Had to go to office for some formalities today after which we explored the area around Raffles Place and Marina Bay on foot. I walked more today wearing formals than I had before this in my entire life. Am not a very keen photographer, but the place is so beautiful that I had to click a few pics. The ones I did take do little justice to the the beauty of the area, but they will serve as good mementos.

My co-intern, and neighbor, and I discovered a very nice South Indian eating joint close by. They have large portions, cheap rates, VERY Indian ambience and the waiters insist on speaking in Hindi. Will be a nice break from all the prawns and seaweeds and noodle soups and pork-rice.

4 comments:

Robert Frust said...

Bon appetit! I just came back from watching The Namesake (it's good if you haven't read the book, but you have so perhaps you'll only find it okay, like I did) and they kept eating, and now you're talking about prawns. Cruel.

Phoenix said...

Bon appetit from me too :)

anonymous coward said...

chinese food sucks! dunno why they insist on eating practically raw vegetables or unmentionable body parts of animals.

Captain Subtext said...

[a.c] Exactly the reason why Chinese food is so much fun!

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro