Monday, August 4, 2008

Darwin's Nightmare

I bought a small tortoise about three weeks back. And a small plastic tub for it to swim in. I am not sure of it, but I think it was a 'he'. At least I named it Darwin. It was not much bigger than the palm of my right hand.

Three weeks is not a long enough time to get attached with anything, even if not inanimate. But it was fun marveling at how something so small could possibly have some thought process going around in that minuscule brain. And watching it was a good way to while away time on weekends.

Yesterday, I moved it to a saucepan filled with cold water, which it probably thought was just a new temporary habitat for it as I cleaned its tub. It was moving around playfully enough. Not so much though when the water gradually started heating up. I covered the pan with a lid, and left to watch rest of my movie, after turning down the flame to medium.

I suppose if it had a voice I would have heard it scream, as it gradually turned to pulp under the lid. Unfortunately, it did not. And I could enjoy my turtle soup without any bother.

7 comments:

Phoenix said...

Ewww...and I thought you said you'd grown attached to him. Poor Darwin.

Anonymous said...

ridiculous!

Anonymous said...

:D
You must also try mini-turtles!

Captain Subtext said...

[phoenix] Poor me too, for losing something that I was attached to :D

[time traveler] Don't you love it when a reader makes so much effort to say just that :D

[gee] Does anything shock you, lady?!

Anonymous said...

Erm. Not this one :)
But mini-turtles are absolutely gorgeous. They are, as is evident, little turtles. Made of the best bread in the whole wide world!
Such a pity.
But they are turtles! :D

Pavitra said...

Really a soft hearted guy aren't you?

Abhishek said...

macabre! reminds me of this quote by Robert Bloch : http://www.quotationspage.com/quote/1145.html

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro