Wednesday, March 2, 2011

I love George Carlin

You know, if you have been remotely regular at quizzes over the last 2-3 years, you would have encountered the odd George Carlin question. He passed away in June 2008, and it has made many people like me, who hadn't really heard of him earlier, discover him afresh, through his regained popularity at quizzes.

I had seen short clips of his performances on YouTube, but I am watching his full length stage performance for the first time.

He is not funny. I generally don't find stand-up comics of the American kind funny. For instance, I can't understand why Seinfeld was so successful. The only one I enjoy watching is the Canadian Russell Peters. So, I was getting bored in the initial few minutes.

But gradually and surely, I was won over by his opinions. A man who makes fun of religion, young kids, parenting, dead people, parents, all within half an hour of his more than an hour long performance is a good person.

Right now, he is talking about how he has very low tolerance for most people beyond a few minutes because of their stupid bullshit. Nothing resonates more with me.

I hate it when people complain that I don't pay attention to them or don't laugh at their jokes. I have a great sense of humor. The problem, darling, is that your jokes are not funny enough. You are just loud. And tacky. Not funny.

(I just felt like Karan Johar using the darling word there)

2 comments:

Karthik Shetty said...

Carlin's one of the best - his death is a major loss for all practical people. I believe some of his sayings/'teachings' ought to be made part of school curriculum.

Captain Subtext said...

Absolutely. Was thinking the same thing watching him last night. We need his ideas even more today.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro