Sunday, December 17, 2006

Coincidences

Some of the best movies that one comes across these days from the US are independent films, without the excess baggage that being associated with a Miramax or a Universal entails. One such soft, delighful movie is Heights.

I have over 80Gbs of movies on my hard-disk, most of which I haven't seen. Very often I pick up a book or a magazine because I am not able to decide on one. I picked Heights completely at random. So, it's a fascinating coincidence that the lead character is called Isabel, after Isabel Lee. Poe's poem on Isabel Lee was referred to by Humbert Humbert in Lolita while talking about his first love - Annabel Leigh.

There are so many movies these days that start off with different individuals leading seemingly unrelated lives, gradually moving towards a crescendo where everything comes together. Heights is based on a similar plot-structure. But, it is essentially a movie about love. As people who are familiar with my past blogs would vouch, I can speak for sometime on that topic now. But, that's for later.

Heights has a story that I have very often thought, and worried, that I would find myself in one day. Because the movie is not very easily available, and because there are quite a few interesting characters, it'll take some time for anyone to figure out what I mean, assuming anyone's interested. I did find myself in an analogous situation some months back, and came out hurting. And hurt others in turn.

That brings me, in another interesting turn of events, to explain why I chose the sobriquet that I am using. I heard the phrase for the first time in a classic comedy series called Coupling. Most of you must be fans too. I didn't notice the phrase, or at least any more than many other such phrases coined by Jeff, until it became a part of my life. The most interesting person I have known in my life made it that.

2 comments:

Phoenix said...

Now I know what movie to watch first of all, Captain! :)
And yeah! I found it already.

Anonymous said...

I just saw A Scanner Darkly, before Taru told me about your blog... good movie, but somehow rotoscoping didn't appeal to me a lot...

I'll try to catch Heights too. Nice to see you back, btw (though I never did really comment on your older blog).

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro