Sunday, August 26, 2007

An Affair to Remember

B Rangan has made a very interesting post on 15 Years of Rahman at his blog. I don't remember my reaction completely when I first heard Roja's music, and I am sure I didn't face conflict the way he did. Hindi film music only had the occasional brilliance of Nadeeem-Shravan and Jatin-Lalit at that point of time and we couldn't wait to embrace Rahman.

I do remember that I was in a hotel in Ranchi with my family, just done with my dinner, and watching Surabhi. And they did a feature on this new music-director who was doing something to music down south. I don't know if I had heard him before that. But I was blown away that night. Getting blown away has become a regularity with Rahman after that.

I don't think I can pick my favorite Rahman number, or favorite 5 or even 20. And yes, I do agree with many of my friends from Tamil Nadu that his best is in Tamil. Maybe it's because when I am hearing his songs in Tamil, I can't make sense of the lyrics and it's just the music. In Hindi, Javed Akhtar and Gulzar, at times, take my attention away.

2 comments:

Prasad Narulkar said...

i agree with ya....
Rahman rocks...
but i feel wat makes him diff is that he concentrates on the sound rather than the lyrics...!
amazing melody...
:-)

Anonymous said...

I don't always agree with you, but I see that you are objective in your
postings. Despite the differences I still enjoy reading your posts and I
often learn even when our viewpoints are different. :-)

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro