Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Haunted by Humans

Reading requires a fair bit more effort than watching movies and TV. Especially along with a job where at least 15-20% of my average work-time goes into reading articles, reports, mails and other assorted keyboard-poop. But I still continue reading books, blogs, magazines...bus-stand print ads, because once in a while something turns up that reinforces my faith in the goodness of the written word.

I finished reading one such book last night.

It's called The Book Thief and it's by Marcus Zusak. If you are one of those who is not put off by book reviews, and book reviewers (but then you probably wouldn't be reading my blog either), you have probably read something good about it already. It might have put me off with the claims of being 'life-changing', of being 'the one book you must read this year if it's the only one you read', of being 'a truly heart-warming story by an author at his prime', and so on, had it not been for a discount on a rainy day at the Landmark store at Forum.

I was bored, stuck inside, irritated with the massive Koramangala crowd hanging out at Forum and inside Landmark, and bought this book because it was on top of a pile of books mercilessly heaped on to one of the tables. It was like Daryaganj inside a mall. With much less scope for adventure, much lower chance of running into a rare, interesting book. The book had a 30-40% discount on it, and the paperback isn't really all that expensive anyway. So I bought it, along with some other more interesting books.

Why I chose to read this one before the others I bought that day is something I fail to explain. It could have been dark in the room I keep my books in while selecting a book from the shelf or maybe I was distracted and just picked one at random. But read it I did. And faster than I have read any book since I left engineering college two-and-a-half years back.

Because it's really good. I have tons of great movies with me that I want to watch, but I left everything, sat down on my bean bag with my thin, cosy blanket wrapped around me (it's getting slightly cold in Bangalore now), placed my legs on the chair in front of me, and read away to glory.

It's a story of the life of a young girl, who comes to a home in Germany during the 2nd World War at the age of 10 and leaves when she is 14. It's about how words meant a lot to her. It's about how some memories stay with us for ever. How one regrets not having said a few things once the people those things were meant to be said to are gone. How everyone holds more within than one shows. And how the simplest of acts can go on to save lives. Or take them.

And it's narrated by Death.

3 comments:

Argentyne said...

Hm, I just went to the Odyssey here the other day, fingered that book for quite some time and then put it down because I was put off by the 'life-changing' events. Too bad.

Oh and all the while I was there, wishing I had a net connection to check which books I'd been wanting to buy since ages, I remembered how vbondwal had forwarded a list of 'books to read before you die' that you had forwarded to him and how I should have at least checked that before coming. Sigh.

Bought White Teeth (Zadie Smith), Never Let Me Go (Ishiguro I think) and Angela's Ashes (don't remember the author).

Oh and about that post you wrote about 24 hour water supply etc vs losing your life in riots... I know you said you were being objective, but I find it very hard to believe that someone could even compare the two. Don't know why that should leave you confused either, why not imagine how it must be to be in the other person's shoes?

Captain Subtext said...

Haven't read White Teeth, but Zadie Smith is quite decent, based on On Beauty. Never Let Me Go is a weird, but great, book. And Angela's Ashes (by Frank McCourt, I think), is one of those painful Irish stories, which is predictable but still worth toiling through. I once asked a quiz question on what the last word of Angela's Ashes is.

I would not reply to the last part of the comment, if you even felt the need to say that. Putting oneself in someone else's shoes is a roundabout thing.

Captain Subtext said...

And, in case this wasn't obvious, I think I was trying to show off my knowledge of books there.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro