Monday, August 24, 2009

Jackass At Work

I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job. I hate my job.

I really hate my job.

Or maybe not so much.

Monday mornings aren't exactly a picnic on normal days, but today, getting up in the middle of a particularly nice dream, and then getting wet waiting for an auto, to come to work made me feel like a complete jackass.

The work probably is decent enough. It's actually more because I can get the same amount of work done even if I work from home. The only reason going to work makes sense is if there's a meeting, and today there isn't one.

And the worst thing about my office in Mumbai is that the people are absolutely one-dimensional. I know I have probably not given them a chance and not tried to get to know them better and all that, but after having worked with them for almost 3 months now, I think I have a fair understanding of who they are.

There are about 2-3 people apart from me who don't get food from home and go down at lunchtime to the canteen in the opposite building. I have started dreading having to go out with anyone else, because for the half hour or so that we take to walk there, get food, eat it and walk back, the only conversation we can have is about deals we are working on.

Bangalore office sucked in some regards, but at least there were people who had a life beyond work.

I am gradually starting to have lunch on my own with a book or a magazine.

The funny thing is that I think they probably think that I am a really boring person. Because I pretty much shut up if they start discussing their investor memorandum and financial model and due-diligence report. I go to some wikipedia article on my phone and let them have their fun with their deal-talk.

I am really not cut out to be a banker.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

this too shall pass

-ankur

Jade said...

Should you BE posting this on your blog, considering that pretty much everyone who reads it knows who you are?

(Or well - that's what I ask myself every time I'm tempted to post something like this on my blog. I don't always listen to myself, of course.)

Captain Subtext said...

[ankur] That's not as profound a statement as you seem to believe.

If I hang you upside down and pluck your pubic hair one by one, I am sure saying 'this too shall pass' won't alleviate your pain.

[Jade] Actually I am pretty sure almost no one who reads this knows who I am.

But if I could call my MD a kid who has never grown up, I am sure I can call my substantially less important colleagues people with no life.

They can't make me hang upside down and pluck my pubic hair one by one!

Realistic me... said...

Ouch!!!

geetika said...

Or you could say "People who I work with and know me don't know about this blog."
Just 'cause I dunno - I know who you are, and there must be others too.
Good luck for you lunch-times,
sighs,
Me.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro