Monday, July 5, 2010

Two films and a soundtrack

There are these green, very green, oasis-like days in a life pretty much dry, brown, desert-like that make you thankful for being alive.

I saw two brilliant movies today and listened to a soundtrack that just blew me away, and I just had to write here about them.

I read the Ebert review on Shutter Island immediately after the film was over and was pleased to see that he also noticed the similarity with King Kong in the first scene. The sense of foreboding as the boat approaches the island, those amazing camera shots set the piece just right. A beautiful movie. It gives me goosebumps to see that someone as feted as Scorsese still loves being a child so much. I wish I could meet him some day.

The other movie I saw today was Toy Story 3. Apart from my persistent fascination with how Pixar keeps throwing trumps every year, I also loved a very personal chord that this film touched. That feeling of leaving the familiar environs of the place you went to school at, for college, has never been portrayed better anywhere else. I miss those days badly - the luxury to waste time. Things changed so much after I left for Delhi.

But, the best part of the day was listening to the soundtrack of Udaan. This is such a mind-blowing compilation that I felt guilty for having downloaded the album off the net. I am going to buy a CD of the songs soon. And I really look forward to the film, coming out on July 16. A film with songs like these can't be worth not seeing. A film-maker with music sense like this is worth looking out for.

To repeat what I just told a friend of mine on GTalk, Amit Trivedi is the new Rahman. In fact, I almost look forward to his new tracks now more eagerly than I do Rahman's. There surely can't be a bigger compliment.

3 comments:

Robert Frust said...

I loved Shutter Island too. Wanted to catch TS3, and now even keener to do so.

I agree with the Amit Trivedi comment. I was obviously blown away by Dev D's OST, but the one that made me notice the composer was the earlier Aamir. He has an amazing sense for the right music to go with the visuals.

Geetika said...

Saw toy story 3, after your recommendation here. Loved it! thanks, coz I wouldn't have bothered, not seen 1 and 2. :)

Captain Subtext said...

Sorry, I just forgot I had made the comments section moderated.

[RF] I need to get down to listening to Aamir's soundtrack sometime soon.

[Geetika] You're welcome. I haven't seen Toy Story 2 either.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro