Monday, November 10, 2008

Life or Something Like It

I made this post last year in March. Hell, it's already been a year-and-a-half! I read it yesterday for the first time since then when someone from New Jersey arrived here from Google after having searched for "I hate engineering". Feels good to know that I have kindred souls across the world.

I wrote in the post that I would be leading a pointless life once I start working, and I, oddly enough, look forward to it. This is one of the reasons why blogging is such a blessed thing. I can pretty much go back in time and look at myself.

The work that I do now isn't all that pointless. As I have written earlier, it has its rewards, for me as well as for the people I come in contact with. It does create an illusion of a world that speaks only in millions of dollars and where a one-day trip abroad for a stupid meeting is something no one really thinks twice about. But there are far more good aspects to it too.

More importantly, something that I realized during my internship too, soon after I wrote that post, I am leading a much happier life. I had written once, on my previous blog, during one of the lowest phases of my life, about the sign I had seen on a department workshop wall - vyast raho, mast raho - and I am living that adage now. Working long hours, doing something that I don't altogether dislike, getting really tired and then crashing on the bed by 11-12 at night - this is more fun than I ever thought it would be. Plus, I am still managing about 3-4 movies on an average per week and 1-2 books every month, which is more important for me to survive than most people would understand.

Of course, I also have a lot more money than I have ever had before this in my life, which helps redeem a lot of things.

Life's better than I thought it would be after leaving IIM Calcutta. Which is a substantial relief, because it hurt real bad on my way home from Joka that April afternoon, a day after our convocation. And, well, I miss it so much, it (still) hurts. A fair bit.

4 comments:

Wanderer said...

on the side, make sure not to gain weight

Captain Subtext said...

Jo Aagya, Sarkaar!

Aapne keh diya so now the only thing that will gain weight are my words.

Anonymous said...

I read you writings consistently.Enjoy your structured thoughts. Like to imagine if I could know it is you, if I were to run into you in Blossoms.
But your constant wrong use of the word 'aagya' is very bothersome. Get that right.

-Regards
Reader.

Captain Subtext said...

Thanks. Never noticed.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro