Thursday, March 15, 2007

TOW I detoxify myself

Placements got over today. And so did the last reason for me to stick around. A submission's left and will be home by this weekend for a two-week break.

The last three days have sort of given me a trailer of what work would be like. I hate wearing formals, and get tired and passive wearing a tie or, even worse, a coat. The good thing is that I get SO tired in a few hours' work that I fall deep asleep the moment I hit the bed. And enjoy going out with friends in the evenings a lot more. I make fun of my friends who are working, which includes almost everyone I know, for living really boring lives - getting up, leaving for work, working their ass off, returning home, sleeping. I'll probably be doing the same thing myself this summer, and then for the rest of my life starting about a year from now. And I strangely look forward to a life of pointless work.

Like the end of every academic session during my stay in Delhi, even here I am getting this feeling that there are so many people that I should have interacted with more. So many interesting people that I would never get to know at all. It's just that I prefer sitting in my room watching a movie when I have the chance to do that.

The feeling, in fact, is even stronger here because I have begun to like this place, and many people here, more than IIT Delhi. Main reason for this is the fact that I used to hate every single person who would take any remote interest in his stream of engineering there, and that left me with very few people I was interested in knowing about. I hated engineering, or at least chemical engineering, and I am sure I am going to have a life-long bias against chemical engineers. I still find it a completely pointless field, though I realize that there might be no logic to this strong opinion. And I lost the little interest I had in machines, or many aspects of science, because of it.

My father is crazy about machines, and the little conversation we have apart from general stuff very often revolves around engineering and related stuff. And I indulge him because there is absolutely no other interest that we share. Our tastes in movies, books, food, TV programs, sports, cars, electronics goods, people, everything are poles apart. We do share a love for dogs, but that's that. I still remember how painful it used to be to feign interest in cement manufacture during the several tours either he or some subordinate of his gave me of his plants while I was studying engineering.

The point of this detour was to say that I am actually enjoying almost everything I am studying after a long time. And that makes me respect the professors and the students here a lot more. I can understand when someone gets orgasmic while talking about some new derivative structure or some interesting marketing strategy. I used to be shocked when some bespectacled ugly girl at my department would go orgasmic discussing some damned process for extracting some damned hydrocarbon from some damned mixture. I still think of every single person who went on for an MS or a PhD in Chemical Engineering as an idiot with absolutely no life.

Aah, that rant felt good. Need to hit the bed now. Sweet Dreams.

2 comments:

Atish said...

keep posting :)

The Priestess said...

Hope to see you get out of your attraction for the pointless money making at some stage and do something different. Why this should be such a task for someone who loves tuning into the psyche of people who think differently is still a mystery.

enjoy home.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro