Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Bengaluru Diary - Part 2

Everyday when I get up, I feel a little more happy for having chosen to stay here, instead of Mumbai. The weather, in general, is great in Bangalore, but the mornings are especially great. I woke up at 6am this Sunday, to wake up one of the two friends, who were sleeping over at my flat, and standing in the balcony felt heavenly. Not too cold, not too warm, breezy. And to think I would have been sweating by the time I got to the wash-basin every morning in Mumbai. Taking an auto to work, unless the traffic is too heavy, which it rarely is at 8:30 in the morning, also feels good. And it's been raining very often these days. Which does make the traffic congestion more bothersome in this city, but does wonders to the temperatures. I have begun to envy my friends who grew up in this place.

A number of people I know crib about the growing problems of this place, but memories from Kolkata are too fresh in my mind. The only issue, and it's not a very small one as I realize every weekend, is that I am desperately in need of a social life. People from work are great, but after spending almost 12 hours with them for five days, I am sure they would want me to get my own life for two remaining days. But, am taking steps to remedy that.

There are several other things that I like about Bangalore. The fact that good food is so cheap. There are these amazing places called darshinis, where you can have really delicious idli-vada, with filter-coffee (and I am realizing now what all the fuss about it is for) from early morning to late evening. I don't eat there too often, but I am still spending surprisingly low on food every day.

There are other good things that come with living alone and not having to worry about money, which I might be associating with the city, but well, this is the place I have started working at, and this will be the place that will hold as special a meaning for me as Delhi would, for the rest of my life. Just as Mumbai will remain special for my parents.

5 comments:

Jade said...

I like the fact that you're blogging so often these days.

Though it's strange that your current blog and ex-blog are so different. (The colour of this one doesn't hurt the eyes, for one thing!:P )

Atish said...

u cud try going to Java City once in a while if u already havent

Shantanu said...

yeah right, nobody can beat the weather here, and apart from that the general Janta is a lot more considerate, lot more educated.

For the food try going to Airlines (for Breakfast) on weekends. Or to Koshy's for Beer and some eggs / toast / appam (on Sundays)

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky :(
I live in this very hippy-organic-food-obsessed-city that doesn't let let chain stores/discount stores to enter its limits.
And spend somewhere close to Rs 2500-3000 on groceries each week :'(
Graduate School must have its perks that I fail to see.

Captain Subtext said...

[jade] We should do something about the color scheme not hurting bit :D
How's the internship been?

[atish] Have tried the Lavelle Road (which is about a 100m from my office) and the Church Street ones. Are there more outlets? Nice places, but if I have to drink something alone, I would prefer drinking beer watching an IPL match :)

[shantanu] Yep, people are a lot nicer too. In general, at least. Will try Airlines. Have tried dinner and lunch at Koshy's till now, and liked the place.

[gee] Grad School perks, more often than not, become apparent once you are through it.

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro