Friday, May 23, 2008

Naught Tension

After my parents left last week, it took me some time to get used to being all alone after coming home from work. There's way too much space for one person.

But I'm glad that, in a fairly short time, not only have I got used to the flat, but also settled down well enough in my job to manage getting all the office work done along with gradually resuming my relationship with books and movies. Have seen two movies in the last two days, apart from reading about 100 pages of a book. Nice, no?

The book is Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, who continues to impress with his peculiar turn of phrases. There are far too many examples to be able to pick one or two. And halfway through the very interestingly structured novel, I still have no clue how it is going to shape up.

The two movies I have seen have been very different experiences though. I finally forced myself to watch Tashan day before yesterday. I normally do not rely on other people's opinion of a movie while making my movie-watching plans, or forming my own judgment. In fact, I have seen that a lot of movies, especially Hindi ones, which get panned across the board by all and sundry, actually turn out to be not so bad. Cases in point - Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna, Jhoom Barabar Jhoom and, well, RGV Ki Aag. There were several redeeming features to these movies. Which cannot be said for Tashan unfortunately. Except maybe that Kareena Kapoor looks really hot.

The other movie I saw was last night after getting a recommendation from Beatzo's blog. And I watched it the way I have hoped to watch one for a long time during my student life. My own room, my own TV (connected to my own laptop in this case), my own beanbag, and my own pop-corn. I just need my own home theatre now, which, as an article in ET showed today, is quite affordable.

Anyway, the movie was Haute Tension, a French thriller, sort of in the same league as The Hills Have Eyes or Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but very unlike them too. I didn't exactly like the movie. There's a huge hole in the plot for one. But also because I somehow, for the first time, did not enjoy all the gore. Did not see the point in it. I mean, I found it interesting enough to be glued to my seat the whole duration of the movie and didn't get bored or too put off, but found it a very cheap effort at providing thrills. I hope I haven't lost interest in such movies because I really used to have a lot of fun watching them. I am going to watch Wolf Creek, the other recommendation at his blog, this weekend. Hopefully, it'll be more enjoyable.

There's a very interesting discussion going on at Beatzo's blog on the issue of 'gorno' btw, and am waiting for his reply.

And this one's my 100th post on this blog.

2 comments:

Phoenix said...

100 already, cool! And you stopped enjoying gore :O :O

You know, reading your post these days increasingly reminds me of a discussion I'd with Vibhor not long ago, which concluded on this: You really should get married now.

conufsed said...

I deny reaching 'this' conclusion. The conclusion that we agreed upon, however, would meet disagreements from many of our common friends ( and it did, when I shared it with some of them)

Template Designed by Douglas Bowman - Updated to Beta by: Blogger Team
Modified for 3-Column Layout by Hoctro